Tier I Introductory Theology Program
The Tier I Introductory Theology Program was the San Juan Diego Institute of Evangelization and Faith Formation’s first theology program, inaugurating the institute in the summer of 2016. The Tier I Introductory Theology Program was developed by a committee of theologians, clergy, and lay ecclesial ministers. The program consists of seven 2.5 hour sessions. There is a progression which will take the student from the Call to Holiness through the scriptures, christology, ecclesiology, liturgy, morality, spirituality, ultimately leading to a sending forth as missionary disciples who are encouraged to continue growing closer to Christ and delving deeper into the faith through ministry practicums and, eventually, Tier II Theology Formation Program.
Tier I Courses:
- The Call to Holiness – What is the role of the lay faithful? What are the laity called to be in the world and how do we respond to that call?
- Scripture – What is the Bible? Where did it come from? Why do Protestant Bibles have less books? How are we supposed to read the Bible and what does it mean?
- Christology – Who is Christ and how is he both fully human and fully divine? How did the Church come to understand this about Christ and why is this important for our salvation?
- Ecclesiology – What is the Church? What is the Magisterium? What is Sacred Tradition? What does it mean that the Church is the Bride of Christ? Why does all of this matter?
- Liturgy – Why do we celebrate Mass? What is transubstantiation? How is the Eucharist is the source and summit of our faith? What is the heavenly wedding banquet?
- Morality – How are we supposed to live our lives? What is the difference between sin and evil? What are the Catholic Social Teachings and why are they important?
- Spirituality – How do we grow in relationship to Christ? How do we pray and what are the different ways in which we can pray?